IngredientsPrep Time 2 Hours
Serenamon Roll Dough:
● 1 cup whole milk - warm (105 degrees F)
● ½ cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar divided
● 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
● 2 large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
● 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
● 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
● .5 tsp almond extract
● 5 cups of pastry flour
● 1 tsp sea salt
● 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Serenamon Roll Sugar Filling:
● 1 cup brown sugar packed
● 2 ½ tablespoons ground cinnamon
● 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Serenamon Roll Cream Cheese Frosting:
● (1) 8 oz container whipped cream cheese
● ¼ cup (half a stick) unsalted butter, softened
● 2 cups powdered sugar
● 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
● 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
● ⅛ tsp salt
InstructionsTotal Time 2 Hours 20 Minutes
Make the Serenamon Roll Dough:
1. Warm milk in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. It should be warm but not hot. Place the warm milk into the bowl of the stand mixer, then add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of yeast to the warm milk. Stir. Let it sit in a warm environment for five minutes or until it becomes foamy.
2. Add the remaining ½ cup sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and almond extract to the mixture in the bowl of your standing mixer, fitted with the dough hook. Mix on low speed until combined.
3. With the motor running, slowly add the flour, salt, and cinnamon, increasing the speed to high once all of the flour mixture is added. Continue mixing until a large, smooth ball is formed - a few minutes. The dough should be smooth and only slightly tacky to the touch. If the dough seems too sticky and is not forming a ball, add more flour (1/4 cup) at a time until a smooth ball is formed. Continue to knead with the dough hook for 2 more minutes, or you can remove the dough from the bowl and knead by hand until smooth, about 5 minutes.
4. Grease a large bowl and place the dough inside. Cover the bowl with a warm, damp towel and put the bowl in a warm place to rise for one hour. I usually use my oven; just make sure the oven is not on!
Make the Serenamon Roll Filling:
1. While the dough is rising, make the filling. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon until the mixture is well combined and an even consistency, and set aside. Make sure your butter is at room temperature.
Serenamon Rolls, Assemble!
1. Uncover the resting dough. It should be roughly doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 350 F before you roll out and shape the dough.
2. Sprinkle a large work surface with flour. Gently press the gas out of the dough, remove it from the bowl to the floured work surface, and form it into a rectangle. Roll the dough into a 24x18" rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.
3. Take 7 tablespoons or up to a stick of softened butter and spread it over the flattened rolled-out dough.
4. Sprinkle the dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture all over.
5. Roll up the dough from the longer edge of the rectangle, and cut it into 12 equal-sized rolls, ~2 inches wide each.
6. Line a 9x13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish with parchment paper and lightly grease. Then place rolls in 4 rows of three, evenly spaced. Cover the rolls with a dish towel and let them rise to room temperature for another 20-30 minutes.
7. Bake Serenamon rolls in the preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through about 18-20 minutes. They will rise more in the oven. If not cooked all the way through in the middle, you may need to bake them for a few minutes more.
Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
1. While rolls are baking, use an electric hand mixer or your stand mixer with the paddle attachment to beat together the whipped cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt. Continue to beat on a high speed for 3-5 minutes until the frosting is really smooth. DO NOT chill the frosting. Keep it at room temperature until the Serenamon rolls are finished baking.
2. Once the Serenamon rolls have been removed from the oven, let them cool. When cooled, add a dollop of cream cheese frosting and serve!